Welcome to Waipahu HS Athletics
ALL SPORTS: TURN IN PHYSICALS and PAPERWORK TO THE TRAINING ROOM. OR Please drop off in the front office in the TRAINERS BOX. Coaches will be notified if you are cleared to practice.
Appropriate social distancing should be followed during drop off and pick up times for all athletic activities and congregating of students should be avoided. Recommendations are:
- Athletes should be dropped off as close to the start of the practice or event as possible.
If they arrive early they should wait in their car until the start time.
- Upon ending of athletic activities, parents/guardians should wait in their cars to pick up/wait for their child.
Interested in playing a sport?
Although there is no clear determination on when high school sports will begin, here are a few things you can take care of in the meantime:
- Visit the Athletics page on the WHS website and email the coach of the team you are interested in trying out for. ** See Coaching Staff
- Keep your grade point average at or above a 2.00 gpa.
- Attend Friday office hours with your teacher(s) to get extra help if you are having difficulty in any of your classes.
- From the WHS Athletics page, download forms under Athletic Requirements: Physical form, Assumption of Risk form, and a Video Release form.
- Clear up any outstanding obligations. (Can be paid at front office)
- Pay your class dues. (Can be paid at front office)
- SENIORS ONLY: PTP requirements must be completed.
Look for updates on Waipahu High School’s website or on the WHS’ Instagram page. We hope to see you soon. Take care and be safe!
- Can I still try out for a sport if I have one or more “F”s on my report card?
- Yes, you are still able to try out for any sport you are interested in. If you make the team, you will be placed on Academic Review Status (ARS).
- What is ARS?
- ARS is Academic Review Status…or Academic Probation.
- Who is on ARS?
- Any student-athlete who has earned a GPA that is below 2.00gpa and/ or have received an “F” in any required course for graduation at the end of each quarter or semester.
- What happens if I am on ARS?
- Students on ARS must attend mandatory study hall after school and complete a grade check every 2 weeks. Students must still practice with the team but will be unable to participate in any games until ARS grade check requirements are met. Students will need to pass each grade check period to be eligible. You will remain on ARS until the end of the quarter.
- What are the ARS grade check requirements to be eligible to play in games?
Eligible to play in games:
GPA at or above 2.0 with no “F’s” = Eligible to play until next grade check is due.
These will make you ineligible to play in games:
Example 1: GPA at or above 2.0 with one or more “F’s” = Not eligible to play in any games until next grade check is due.
Example 2: GPA below 2.0 with no “F’s”= Not eligible to play in any games until next grade check is due.
Example 3: GPA below 2.0 with one or more “F’s”= Not eligible to play in any games until next grade check is due.
- How do I get off of ARS?
- You need to earn a GPA of at least 2.0 and not have any “F” in a required course for graduation at the end of each quarter or semester.
- Do I need a current physical to play sports
- Yes, physicals need to have been done within the calendar year.
**Example: Physical done on November 12, 2019.
Student is able to play under this physical until November 12, 2020.
- How do I find out the name of the coach for the sport I want to play?
- Go to the Waipahu High School website under Athletics. In the box on the right, click on Coaching Staff.
- How do I get the forms needed for athletics?
- Go to the Waipahu High School website under Athletics. In the box on the right, click on Athletic Requirements. Download and print.
- You can also pick up the forms from the front office.